("POCO" Continued from page 1)
ily, the water had not overflowed onto the fuel tank yet (We hadn't had a chance to epoxy/glass over the tank to prevent corrosion leaks of the tank). So we grabbed a turkey baster and a saucepan and started draining the sump, ending a long day!
Sat. July 29--- We talked with the marina manager Kirby , and he helped us move to a windward slip on Teal dock, where he said somebody would come out and help us repack the packing gland on Monday . With the wind blowing and the tide flooding, it took me two tries to back "Poco" into the slip. Afterwards, I noticed I was shaking!!! Well, we had just overcome our trip's first big challenge: backing into a slip with the wind blowing, current running, and the mast down sticking out over the bow of the boat!! This was one of our big fears about the Bay --- boat handling under power in tough conditions ---We knew there were a lot more challenges yet to come !! Still, it was nice to be in the slip , where we could start by cleaning the boat. Then we re-rigged and raised the mast. Afterwards, Kneshia, Greg ,and I went to dinner at Moore's Landing at " Cuttings Wharf ", where Greg introduced us to a Bay delicacy---Ceviche Tostadas --- Awesome with Coronas !!!
Sun. July 30 We used 'J B weld' to epoxy the internal mast bushing to the inside of the mast , then duct-taped a penny and raised the mast yesterday, but the masthead bulb had burned out , so the marina ordered a new one that should be here Monday . We noticed that after motoring over here from the guest dock, the packing gland wasn't dripping as much, but we continued to drain the sump with a turkey baster and we decided to have the packing gland packing replaced tomorrow.
Mon. July 31 We met Dave from the Marina , who replaced the packing gland material with 3 pieces of 3/16 waxed Flax , while I watched from inside the quarter berth. While working on the packing gland , Dave noticed that the Prop-shaft was loose . He removed the lock bolts (180 degrees apart) and re-drilled dimples in the shaft, then ground the ends of the lock bolts to a point, put on anti-sieze, tightened, and safety-wired them . Then Dave installed the new throttle cable I had previously bought but hadn't gotten around to installing. Then I winched him up the mast so he could put in a new bulb in the masthead light .
Tues. Aug. 1 K&I installed the Dodger and Bimini first , then
Kneshia went to the laundermat in Napa , while George re-stitched the center seam of my mainsail cover. Later that evening , we were invited for dinner aboard George & Marilyn's boat. It was a great spaghetti dinner and a beautiful sunset with two wonderful people!! As it turns out , George used to work for North Sails , stitching America's Cup sails for Tom Blackaller. Now he does canvas work in a small shop at the marina ! These past few days at the Napa Marina have been hot----almost 100!, so we are getting 'antsy' to get underway
Wed. Aug . 2 - We're excited to get going ! Everything has been
("Poco" Continued on page 3)